Request a new bin
If you move into a property with no bin, you can request a new bin:
- new grey recycling bins are subsidised by the council and are free
- new green general waste bins are £40
- new brown garden waste bins are £40
There is also a £32.30 collection charge for brown garden waste bins for collections until 31 May 2021. There is a £20 annual collection charge for all additional brown bins.
If you have a brown garden waste bin you can subscribe for a collection. If you don't have a brown bin, but have a subscription, please contact Streetscene.
Request an additional bin
You can ask for an additional green bin if:
- there are six or more people living in your home
- someone has a medical condition that means you have extra rubbish
- there are two or more in nappies in your home
- you have extra recycling
We will contact you as part of the authorisation process. Once authorised, your address will be sent to the contractor as approved. Only authorised additional bins will be emptied.
The costs are:
- additional green general waste bins are £40 each
- additional grey recycling bins are subsidised by the council and are free (from 1 April 2019)
Can I buy my own bin?
If you want to purchase your own bin independently of the council, then it must be:
- a wheeled bin
- compliant with the EN 840 standard
- either 140 litre or 240 litre capacity
- the correct colour for the type of waste that it will contain
If your bin does not meet this criteria, then it will not be emptied by the council.
Bins for multi occupancy properties
This includes flats and sheltered accommodation.
- refuse metal bulk bins (1100 litre capacity, with lid), £87.31 per bin per year
- refuse metal chamberlain bins (940 litre capacity, without lid), £52.08 per bin per per year