Welfare Rights Team Privacy Notice

Who is the Data Controller for the information I provide?

Wirral Council is the Data Controller for the personal information you provide.

Our address is:

Wirral Council
PO Box 290
Brighton Street
CH27 9FQ
Issues of how data is handled are dealt with by the Council's Data Protection Officer Jane Corrin who can be contacted by email at DPO@wirral.gov.uk

Why do you need my information?

We collect and hold information about you in order to offer free, impartial advice on all benefit and tax credit problems. It will also be used should you ask us to represent you at appeal tribunals. The information also contributes towards statistical analysis of the teams achievements.

What legal basis allows you to use my information?

You provide consent for us to help you with welfare rights issues. We will only ask for information that is relevant to the issue for which you have sought assistance.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

The information is needed to provide you assistance with Welfare Rights issues. If you do not supply the information we will be unable to provide assistance.

Who will my information be shared with?

The information will only be shared with external partners if explicit consent is gained.

We may disclose information to other partners of the council where it is necessary, either to comply with a legal obligation, or where permitted under the Data Protection Act, e.g. where the disclosure is necessary for the purposes of the prevention and/or detection of crime.

How long will you keep this information for and why?

Personal information will be retained for 6 years based on best practice.

How will my information be stored?

Information will be stored securely as hard copy documents whilst casework is ongoing and basic information (Name, Address, Date of Birth, type of assistance being sought) will be stored electronically for statistical purposes.

How we protect your data

We will take appropriate steps to make sure we hold records about you (on paper and electronically) in a secure way, and we will only make them available to those who have a right to see them. The Council takes security measures such as, but not limited to:

Logical Security Control

  • encryption
  • anonymisation
  • partitioning
  • paper document security
  • physical Security Control
  • managing workstations
  • website security
  • backups
  • network security
  • physical access control
  • monitoring network activity
  • hardware security

Organisational Control

  • monitoring committee
  • policies
  • managing Privacy risks
  • integrating privacy protection in projects (PIA)

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me? No
Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Right to be informed – through this Privacy Notice.

Right to rectification – you have the right to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.

Right to restrict processing – you have the right to block or suppress processing of your data, however this right does not apply in some circumstances.

Right to erasure – you have the right to have personal data erased and to prevent processing.
Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain and reuse your data for your own purposes (copy or transfer personal data to another environment) in certain circumstances

Right to object to processing You can object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing. The right to object also applies to other types of processing such as processing for scientific, historical research or statistical purposes (although processing may still be carried out for reasons of public interest).

Right to withdraw consent (This would mean we would be unable to offer any further assistance).

Right of Access - you have the right under the Data Protection Act 1998 (General Data Protection Regulation 2018) to request a copy of your information and to know what it is used for and how it has been shared. This is called the right of subject access. To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used please email informationmanager@wirral.gov.uk

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

Informal resolution

In the first instance we would ask that you try and resolve data handling issues directly with the relevant department by emailing welfarerights@wirral.gov.uk

Formal resolution

If you are dissatisfied with the informal resolution of your complaint you can request a review by the Data Protection Officer, Jane Corrin, by email DPO@wirral.gov.uk

If you remain dissatisfied following an internal complaint, you can lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Changes to our Privacy Notice

We regularly review our privacy notice and suggest you check for any changes from time to time. This notice was reviewed in November 2022.