Can I have my Housing Benefit claim backdated?

If you were unable to make a claim at the correct time due to exceptional circumstances, it may be possible to backdate your Housing Benefit.

If you think that this applies to you:

  • provide details of the date you wish to claim and the reason why you did not claim earlier
  • you should provide evidence to support your claim

Apply for backdated Housing Benefit

We will consider whether you have good cause for not claiming earlier. Housing Benefit back payments can be paid for a maximum of one month for working age people.

People who have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit may have their claim treated as made earlier up to a maximum of 3 months without having to show good cause.