After the end of each financial year (March 31), the council is required to produce an annual statement of accounts. This sets out the financial position of the authority for that period.
The accounts are prepared in accordance with all relevant prescribed guidance, codes of practice and reporting standards. Each account contains an explanatory note covering the purpose of the account and more detailed notes explaining key items.
The annual publication and independent external audit of council finances is an important part of demonstrating how we use public money.
The council’s external auditors (Grant Thornton UK LLP) report their findings to the Audit and Risk Management Committee, which is responsible for approving the final audited accounts. These are then published on this page and include the audit opinion.
A final certificate of completion of the audit is issued by the auditors and will be made available online when available, together with a public notice explaining the rights of local electors.
Statement of accounts
Statement of Accounts 2020-21
- Wirral Council Draft Statement of Accounts 2020-21 (PDF, 7MB)
- Wirral Council Annual Governance Statement 2020-21 (PDF, 940KB)
- Notice of inspection (PDF, 92KB)
- Notice of Public Rights - Audit of Accounts Year Ended 31 March 2021
Statement of Accounts 2019-20
- Notice of Conclusion of Audit 2019-20
- Notice of Conclusion Audits 2015-19
- Notice of Non Conclusion
- Notice of Delay of Publication
- Statement of Accounts 2019-20 (Final 22/01/2021) (PDF, 5MB)
- Wirral Council - Annual Governance Statement 2019-20 (PDF, 807KB)
- Notice of Public Inspection Accounts
- Notice of Public Rights
Users of assistive technology may not be able read tables and graphs on PDFs.