Wirral's Sustainable Transport team promotes safe cycling and encourages more people to get on their bikes. Cycling is a great aerobic exercise and is also lots of fun.
We work in partnership with Sustrans a leading UK charity enabling people to travel by foot, bike or public transport for more of the journeys we make every day. Our Bike It plus project is funded through the Local Sustainable Transport Fund (LSTF). There are two officers working in partnership with us Simon Wallis who is working with primary schools and, Janet Gregory who is working with youth and community groups to promote an active and sustainable cycling culture.
What’s on offer?
- Bike buddies
- Cycle confidence
- Learn to ride
- Ride start points
- Local route maps
- Bike safety tips
- Bike checks
- Loads of cycling opportunities
- All ages/abilities welcome
- Women-only sessions - Bicycle Belles & dates of rides in 2014
- Training for cycle champions
- Limited locations, pool bikes available
Community cycle hubs at:
- Eastham Centre, Eastham Rake (next to clinic) CH62 9AN Fridays 10-12noon
- Birkenhead Park, Visitors Centre, Park Road CH41 4HY Mondays 10-12 noon
- Pop-up Hubs at other venues. These are subject to bookings.
- Wirral Community Cycle Hub facebook page
Plan A Cycle Trip
A cycle map of Wirral can be ordered by ringing the Smarter Choices team on 0151 330 1253 or filling in the cycling resources order form on the Travelwise wesbite.
Cycling Enquiry Online
If you have an enquiry about cycling on Wirral, you can submit it online for the following subjects using the "Cycle Enquiry" button.
- Access Issue
- Cycle Training
- Damage to cycle racks
- Installation of cycle racks
- New cycle route request
- Overgrown vegetation
- Reporting a problem on a cycle route
- Safety concerns
Cycling on Pavements
If your enquiry relates to cyclists riding on the pavement, please contact Merseyside Police on 0151 709 6010.
Wider Merseyside Area Cycle Maps