Grass cutting and grounds maintenance
Wirral Council manages and maintains roadside grass verges and shrub beds to keep public areas tidy and attractive.
We are also responsible for cutting semi rural and rural areas as well as other sites involving specific degrees of difficulty such as:
- wildflower meadows
- dual carriageways
- sites with limited access.
Not all grassed areas are the responsibility of the Council. We don't look after trees, hedges and shrubs on private land, including land that is next to roads and pavements. It is the landowner's responsibility to look after these areas.
- View a map showing grass cutting locations and frequencies. Simply enter your street name, postcode or area for a list of grass cutting locations.
When was the grass last cut by my house?
- Use the Grass Cutting Search to find out when the grass was last cut for a given location – simply enter the street name or location.
- Use the Grass Cutting Location to view locations in alphabetical order.
How do I report a problem?
- Report Maintenance Issue to report issues relating to highway grounds maintenance.
From April 2013 Wirral Council will maintain its roadside verges as follows:
|Area||Frequency (subject to weather)|
|Rural Areas (except road junctions and pedestrian paths)||Once a year (mid July - mid August, subject to weather and flowering conditions)
*Flowering plants will provide food and habitat for bees, other pollinating insects and other wildlife.
|Rural Areas (road junctions and established pedestrian paths)||4 times a year (between March - October)|
|Semi Rural Areas||4 times a year (between March - October)|
|Urban Areas - majority||Every 12.5 days(between March ? October)
*A small number of urban verge areas are cut four times a year
|Hedges||Twice a year (June/July and October)|
|Shrub Pruning||Carried out in Winter from November|
3 times a year (March/April, June/July, October/November)
*Takes 7-10 days for weeds to die after spraying
|Site Specific Landscaping/ Rejuvenation & Path Edgings||Programmed work carried out between Oct-Feb|
|Litter Removal||At every visit to maintained areas
Litter will also be collected during the scheduled street cleanse