If the fly tipping is not on Council land, please use the below contacts as appropriate:
- National Grid (Gas) 0845 605 6677
- National Grid (Electricity) 01926 653 000
- Network Rail (Railway) 08457 11 41 41
- United Utilities (Water) 08457 462 2000
What is Fly tipping?
Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste onto any land that is not an authorised waste disposal site. It could be any of the following:
- a bag of rubbish
- old sofas or mattress
- drums of chemicals
Fly tipping which is left on the roadside, pavements and public land will be removed by the Council. It is the responsibility of the land owner to remove fly tipping from their own land and prevent it happening again.
Dumping hazardous materials is dangerous to people and the environment and we will prosecute anyone found fly tipping.
Disposal of bulky items
There are a number of ways to get rid of large items that will not fit in wheelie bins:
Check that any private company is a registered waste carrier, if not there is a likelihood that your waste will end up dumped somewhere and you could be held responsible.
What to do it you see someone fly tipping
- Take vehicle registration details
- Note the time and location
- Take a description of what waste you have seen being dumped
- Take a description of the people dumping the waste
- Use a camera phone or camera if you have one on you; this will be really helpful when prosecuting offenders
- Do not approach anyone who you see fly tipping