Abnormal loads

Any load, being moved on the public highway, in excess of 40 tonnes is classed as an abnormal load. Before a haulier can move an abnormal load they must notify and gain consent from the Police. In addition, if the gross weight or axle weights exceed those specified on the C and U regulations they must indemnify the Highway Authority and all bridge owners along the proposed route (e.g. Network Rail).

An abnormal load can potentially go on any road provided the haulier complies with the law. Some roads are more suitable and more extensively used e.g. A Class Roads.

The movement of high, wide or heavy loads (outside the C and U regulations) should be notified to us, by fax, at least 2 clear working days in advance of a proposed movement, on 606 2405.

How do I arrange to take an abnormal load on Wirral roads?

Complete the online form for abnormal loads

How much notice do I need to give of our plans to transport an abnormal load?

Two working days notice is needed. However if you need police assistance you will need to contact us with as much notice as possible.

How much does it cost to carry an abnormal load?

There is no charge from the local authority for carrying an abnormal load on Wirral’s roads.