Abandoned vehicles

You can report a suspected abandoned vehicle to the Police by:

• completing the form on the Police website or

• by phone on 0151 709 6010 and ask for the Wirral Control Room.

The police will check whether the vehicle is a stolen vehicle or has been involved in an accident or crime and will then contact the Council direct if necessary to arrange for the vehicle to be removed.

What information is needed to report an abandoned vehicle?

• Vehicle make, model and colour

• Condition of the vehicle

• Vehicle registration number

• Presence (or not) of the tax disc and whether it has expired

• Location of the vehicle

What happens when a vehicle has been removed by the Council?

The Council will attempt to identify and contact the owner of the vehicle so they can reclaim it. Where this has not been possible, the Council will deem that the owner has abandoned the vehicle and dispose of it.

The owner of the vehicle will be liable to pay any resulting costs incurred. The owner may also be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 for vehicle abandonment.

The Fixed Penalty Notice is an alternative to prosecution for the offence.

Untaxed Vehicles

The Council has no authority to act on reports of untaxed vehicles.

You can report an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA. Report to DVLA. 

Alternatively you can write to the DVLA at Enforcement Section, W070/D12, DVLA, Longview Rd, Swansea, SA7 0XZ.