How to apply for planning permission

When Should I Apply?

Please see the relevant Guidance Notes under External Links on the right to help establish when permission is required. If you are still unsure please contact the Development Management Section using the details on the right.

Once you have established that Planning Permission is required, you will need to submit a planning application. It may take up to eight weeks, or even longer, to get Planning Permission, so apply early.

How do I apply online?

You can submit your planning application online via the Planning Portal. You can complete, pay fees, send and save applications electronically without the need to make multiple copies. It is simple and easy to use, and you can send your submissions directly to us which will help speed up the planning process. For online submissions you will receive an e-mail acknowledging your application has been received.

Submitting your application electronically allows us to share documents with our colleagues and enabling the decision making process to be undertaken in an efficient, effective and speedy way.

The Council's procedures for publicising planning applications is explained in the document Guidance for Publicity on Planning Applications.

How do I apply on paper?

It is important to make sure that you make your planning application correctly. To ensure that you submit all the information we need before applications for planning permission are considered to be valid please see our Validation Checklists.

  • Download the relevant Validation Checklists and Application Forms
  • Obtain the application forms from the Department of Regeneration, Housing and Planning, Town Hall, Brighton Street, Wallasey CH44 8ED.
  • Read the 'relevant Help Text for filling in the forms' carefully.
  • Fill in the relevant parts of the forms and remember to sign and date them.
  • Submit the correct number and type of supporting plans. Each application should be accompanied by a site plan at not less than 1:2500 scale and detailed plans, sections and elevations, where relevant.
  • Fill in and sign the relevant Certificate relating to land ownership.

In most cases, it will be necessary to get help from an architect, surveyor, or similarly qualified person who will prepare the plans and carry out the necessary technical work for you. It is in your own interest to provide plans of good quality and clarity.

Do I have to pay?

A fee is required for the majority of planning applications. Please remember, the Council cannot deal with your application until the correct fee is paid. The fee is not refundable if your application is withdrawn or refused.