Thornton Hough Conservation Area
Thornton Hough was designated a Conservation Area in April 1979. The boundary follows an irregular line and is drawn to reflect the compact settlement, built during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries as an "estate village" to house the employees of the Leverhulme Estate. The village was developed in two phases, in 1866 Joseph Hirst purchased farmland and started work on a church, vicarage and school. He later instigated the building of a terrace of houses and a shop, creating a very small model village.
Some twenty years later William Hesketh Lever constructed the Port Sunlight works, as the area was sparsely populated, he chose to build an adjoining model village to accommodate workers and their families. Lever later purchased Thornton Hough and began improving the village in line with his work at Port Sunlight building housing and community facilities to accommodate his estate workers and managerial staff. The estate continued to expand Thornton Hough during the early decades of the 20th century.
The character of the Area is largely determined by the scale, building materials and architectural detailing of buildings and terraces which directly reflect the different phases of its development. Any new development should seek to retain the contrast between the areas of the Village developed by Joseph Hirst and those subsequently built by William Lever, and to preserve the visual richness which arises from the wide variety of design and architectural detailing they introduced.
The Conservation Area Guidance leaflet explains what a Conservation Area is and how the designation or extension of one affects those who live there. The aim is to provide general guidance and advice on the type of works that normally require planning permission as a result of designation.