Electoral Register

The Electoral Register is a list of everyone who is registered to vote.

You can only vote if your name is on the register.

Registration is required by law but voting is your choice.  

Paying Council Tax does not automatically register you.

This section of the website includes information about the following:

1.   Can I register to Vote?

2.   How do I register to Vote?

3.   When will I be registered?

4.   The Full and Edited Register

5.   Where can I look at the Register?

6.   Can I use the Electoral Register to look for a lost relative?

7.   Why can't I get credit?

8.   How to contact Electoral Services

9.   Stopping your personal information being sold for direct marketing purposes

10.  Useful links


Can register to Vote?   

  • you must live in the electoral area
  • you must be at least 18 years old or become 18 during the registration period
  • Armed Forces, Crown Servants, and British Council employees, and their partners - please visit the About My Vote website  
  • British citizens living abroad - please visit the About My Vote website


How do I register to Vote?

  • Between October - February (annual canvass)

Between 1st October 2013 and February 2014 we will carry out a canvass of all the addresses in the borough and a canvass registration form will be sent to every household in Wirral.

When you receive the form you should complete any changes and return it as soon as possible. Changes may include adding voters at your address or updating your details.

If there are no changes you can register online or by calling 0800 197 8640 using the details and security codes printed on your form.

The new register is published on the 17th February 2014.


When will I be registered?

Please visit the Electoral Commission website for information about when your application will be added to the register.


The Full and Edited register

  • The Full register

The full register shows the names and addresses of those registered to vote. Anyone can look at it. Only hanwritten notes can be taken. Copies can only be supplied for elections, referendums and preventing and detecting crime.

Credit reference agencies can buy the full register and use it for credit checks and to stop money laundering.

Anyone who unlawfully passes on information from the full register is committing a criminal offence.

You do not have a choice about your name and address being on the full register.


  • The Edited register

The edited register can be bought by any person, company or organisation and used for any purpose, including marketing.  

You can choose to be excluded from the edited register by ticking the box on the voter registration form.  


Where can I look at the Register

The Wirral register of electors can be viewed at any main library or at Wallasey Town Hall.  Alternatively, you can view your Ward register at your local library.  


Can I use the Electoral Register to look for a lost relative?  

The register is listed in address order. It is impossible to search by name. 


Why can't I get credit?

The electoral register is used for credit checks. Not being registered can lead to being refused credit or a mobile phone contract. 

If Written confirmation that you are on the register of electors is needed, please contact your local One Stop Shop who will, for a fee of £10, provide a letter of confirmation.  


How to contact Electoral Services    

We can be contacted in the following ways:

By post:    
Electoral Services
Town Hall
Brighton Street
CH44 8ED

Tel: (0151) 691 8046

E-mail: electoral@wirral.gov.uk

Or call in to any Council One Stop Shop.  


Data Protection Act 1998 s11 notice

You can stop your personal information being sold for marketing purposes by ticking the box on your voter registration form. A legal technicality might mean that you will have to renew this choice yearly. Not doing so could result in your information being sold.

You can prevent this by signing a s11 Data Protection Act 1998 notice. The Council does not charge for this service.

Visit the Information Commissioner's Office website for further information. 


Useful Links

The Electoral Commission regulates party and election finance and sets standards for running elections.

The Boundary Commission reviews parliamentary constituency boundaries in England.

Promote the Vote encourages people with learning disabilities to vote.

The Information Commissioner's Office advises on the protection of your personal data.