Family Common Assessment Framework
What is the Family Common Assessment Framework?
The Family Common Assessment Framework (Family CAF) is a key part of delivering frontline services that are integrated and focused around the needs of children and young people and their families. The Family CAF is a standardised approach to conducting assessments of children and families' additional needs and deciding how such needs should be met.
The Family CAF promotes more effective, earlier identification of additional needs. It aims to provide a simple process for a holistic assessment of children and families' needs and strengths; taking account of the roles of parents, carers and environmental factors on their development. Practitioners are then better placed to agree with children and families about appropriate modes of support.
Who can refer a family into Targeted Preventative Services?
All agencies can refer a family into Targeted Preventative Services via the Gateway using the referral form. The Targeted preventative services will hold multi-agency allocation meetings in four localities and it is here that a Lead Professional will be identified to complete the Family CAF.
The Localities are:
• Birkenhead Locality
• Wallasey Locality
• South and West Localities who will have a joint allocation meeting.
What will happen after a family has been referred?
Once a Family CAF has been completed a support plan is developed and implemented by the Team around the Family (TAF).
The TAF brings together a range of different practitioners from across the children and young people’s workforce to support an individual child or young person and their family. The members of the TAF develop and deliver a package of solution-focused support to meet the needs identified through the Family CAF.
The Team Around the Family model places the child at the centre of all activity and requires family members to be fully involved in the process.
- An overview of Targeted Preventative Services [PDF]
- Targeted Preventative Services Gateway Referral form [Word]
- Guide to Integrated Working [PDF]
- Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
- Locality and Gateway Team Contact Details [PDF]
- Family Information Leaflet
- Family Distance Travelled Record (Multi-Agency) [Word]
- Flash Cards for Children
- Distance Travelled for Children
- TAF Plan for Children
- Experience of TAF for Children
- CAF and TAF Training Summary and Dates Jan-April 14 [PDF]
- Family CAF Training Request Form Jan - April 14 [Word]
- TAF Agenda [Word]
- Family Contract [Word]