Skips permits

Skips must not be placed on the road without a valid permit.

Companies who are registered with us can apply for a skip permit.

A permit is required to ensure that skips are not causing disruption to traffic, are sited in a safe position and are properly signed, lighted and guarded in accordance with the relevant rules and regulations.

Members of the public who hire skips are advised to confirm with their skip company that a permit has been obtained.

Guidance and conditions for skips located on the road.



Normal or full size skips (6 tonne or above) - £30.00 for up to 14 days

Mini skips (below 6 tonne) - £18.00 for up to 14 days

An additional fee of £30.00 on top of the above will apply if the council discovers a skip on the road without a permit.



Apply for a skip permit

For companies pre-registered with the council, permits must be requested no later than the end of the working day on which the skip is placed on the public road. No reminders will be given and late applications will result in the additional retrospective fee being applied.



Before you can apply for a skip permit your company must first be registered with the council. To register contact Highways Enforcement on 0151 606 2232 or

When you register you will need to provide:

Proof of Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £5,000,000

Proof of a valid Waste Carriers Licence



The council will investigate the suitability of the requested location to place a skip and determine if conditions are required.



Highways Act 1980

Failure to follow the rules and regulations may result in enforcement action. This could be the application of a retrospective fee, court prosecution, or removal of the skip.


Failed applications

Failed applications should contact Highways Enforcement in the first instance at or 0151 606 2232.


Report a problem

Report an issue about a skip located on a road

In emergency cases, please contact Merseyside Police on 0151 709 6010 and ask for the Wirral Police Control Room.