Hackney Carriage Driver licensing
Any person who wishes to work as a hackney carriage driver is required by law to hold a licence, issued by us.
How to apply for a new licence
Applicants must attend any Council One Stop Shop in person together with:
- Completed application form , or if you wish we can assist you with your application
- Both parts of your full driving licence (DVLA, EEC or Northern Irish) or your old style driving licence
- Completed Disclosure application form
- 2 forms of ID e.g. Passport, Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Birth Certificate
- Application fee
Before granting a licence we require applicants to:
- Undergo a Criminal Records Bureau referral process;
- Pass the Topographical Knowledge Test;
- Produce a satisfactory Medical Certificate from their own General Practitioner (we have adopted the DVLA Group II medical standard)
- Pass the hackney carriage driving test
- Obtain a VRQ qualification
If your application is successful you will then be required to pay a Licence fee.
If you require any further information you can visit any Council One Stop Shop or call the Licensing Office on 0151 691 8043.
How do I report a problem?
Report a concern about:
- an application
- a registered Hackney Carriage Driver