Acupuncture, tattooing, piercing and electrolysis - Registration
If you are thinking of carrying out the practice of tattooing, piercing, acupuncture or electrolysis in Wirral, then you will need to register with the Council.
If you are a registered medical practitioner for example, you may be exempt from registration. If you are unsure whether you need to be registered, please contact us.
How much does it cost?
There is a one off fee of £62 for registration for the premise and each operative.
If you move premises, you will need to re-register the business.
How can I apply?
- Download the relevant registration application form above
- Return your completed form and fee to us, either by post or by visiting one of the Council’s One Stop Shop.
What happens once I’ve applied?
After your application has been submitted, an officer will contact you to arrange an appointment to carry out an inspection of your business premises, equipment and your operating procedures. Download the relevant byelaws which set the minimum legal standard and are made under the The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.
Can my registration be refused?
No, your registration cannot be refused by Wirral Council; however you may be subject to enforcement action if you do not comply with the necessary legal requirements or byelaw conditions.
What further guidance is available?
The following guidance documents should help you achieve compliance and follow best practice:
- Electrolysis, piercing, tattooing and micro-pigmentation HSE (SR12)
- “Body Art, cosmetic therapies and other special treatments” (ISBN 1-902423-80-1) is available from The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- Guidance on the use and purchase of bench-top sterilisers
How do I report a problem?
Report a concern about:
- an application
- an issued licence
- practices at a registered establishment