Acupuncture, tattooing, piercing and electrolysis - Registration

If you are thinking of carrying out the practice of tattooing, piercing, acupuncture or electrolysis in Wirral, then you will need to register with the Council.

You need to register the premises where the business is normally carried out and register each individual who will be carrying out the practice.

There are some exemptions from registration for example, if you are a registered medical practitioner. If you are unsure whether you need to be registered, please contact us, as it is an offence to carry out such practices without being properly registered.

How much does it cost?

Registration for the premise and each operative is a one-off fee, which is currently (June 2013) £62.00.

The fee is subject to change annually, so please check the application form for details of the current charges.

If you move premises, you will be required to re-register the business.

How can I apply?

  • Download the relevant registration application form above or from the right of this page.  Return your completed form to us, either by post or by visiting one of the Council’s One Stop Shops - together with the correct fee 
  • Contact us in writing, by telephone or email to request an application form

What happens once I’ve applied?

Following submission of an application, an officer will contact you to arrange an appointment to carry out an inspection of your business premises, equipment and your operating procedures. The inspection is undertaken in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and the relevant byelaws. A copy of the relevant byelaws can be downloaded from this page.

Can my registration be refused?

No, your registration cannot be refused by Wirral Council; however you may be subject to enforcement action if you do not comply with the necessary legal requirements or byelaw conditions.

How do I complain about a local business?

If you are concerned about the standards or practices being undertaken at a registered premises, please contact us in writing, by telephone or by email.

What further guidance is available?

The following guidance documents should help you achieve compliance and follow best practice: