Proof of non-dependants and household members for Housing Benefit
If you are claiming benefit we will need to know about everyone else who lives with you.
You will need to give us:
- Proof of other people living with you (non-dependants)
You must provide proof of the amount and type of income they receive. The same level of proof is required for non-dependants as for you. Deductions are made from your rent for non-depenants living with you.
From April 2013 the levels of deduction for rent are based upon the gross income of the non-dependant.
- £13.60 per week - for those who have gross income of less than £126 per week.
- £31.25 per week - for those who have gross income of £126 - £185.99 per week.
- £42.90 per week - for those who have gross income of £186 - £241.99 per week.
- £70.20 per week - for those who have gross income of £242 - £321.99 per week.
- £79.95 per week - for those who have gross income of £322 - £400.99 per week.
- £87.75 per week - for those who have gross income of £401 or more per week.
- £13.60 per week - Aged 25 or over and on Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance Main Phase from week 14.
- £13.60 per week - For all others, aged 18 or over (Including those who work for less than 16 hours per week).
There is no deduction taken for non dependants who are getting Pension Credits, or who are under 25 and getting, either Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income- related Employment and Support Allowance in the assessment phase up to week 13.
We do not take non-dependant deductions from your benefit if you or your partner are registered blind, are receiving Attendance Allowance, or the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance, or the Daily Living Component of Personal Independence Payments .
- Proof of dependent children.
You must provide your child benefit award letter or bank statement (covering the last two months and showing all credits and debits).
Remember: All documents must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted
When sending in documents or letters please ensure that your name, address and claim reference number (if known) are clearly written in black ink.
For further information see our benefit leaflets.