The Council can offer financial assistance to low income home owners to undertake emergency repair work to houses. This assistance is in the form of a loan that is paid back to the Council when the house is eventually sold or changes ownership. There are no monthly repayments.
Loans can be used to:
- repair a seriously defective electrical installation
- repair a hazardous gas appliance
- repair severe structural problems
- remedy dampness considered to be a health hazard
- repair a faulty domestic water heating appliance where older people’s or young children’s health is at risk if it isn’t repaired
- repair collapsed drains
- improve heating where older people’s health is at risk if it isn’t improved
The Council will inspect your house and determine the work necessary.