In September 2016, Ofsted found children’s services in Wirral to be ‘inadequate’ overall, with some areas ‘requiring improvement’. The full inspection report from Ofsted is available on its website.
An Improvement Board is now responsible for closely monitoring the development and delivery of an improvement plan for children’s services.
The Board will ensure the council and its partners work together to make improvements which promote and protect the wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people.
As independent chair of the Improvement Board, Tony Crane is responsible for reporting progress to the Secretary of State.
Improvement Board Membership
- Independent Chair; Tony Crane
- LSCB Chair; Professor Maggie Atkinson
- Department for Education Advisor; Tony Crane
- Cabinet Member for Children and Families; Cllr Bernie Mooney
- Chair of People Overview & Scrutiny Committee: Cllr Moira McLaughlin
- Leader of the Council; Cllr Phil Davies
- Conservative Group Councillor; Cllr Leslie Rennie
- Liberal Democrat Group Councillor; Cllr Phil Gilchrist
- Wirral Council Chief Executive; Eric Robinson
- Merseyside Police, Area Commander; Ian Hassall
- Director of Policy & Patient Safety Clinical Commissioning Group; Lorna Quigley
- Deputy Director Quality and Safeguarding NHS England; Lisa Cooper
- Chair of Wirral Association of Secondary Headteachers; Lisa Ayling
- Chair of Wirral Special Headteachers Association; Paula Wearing
- CEO Community Action Wirral; Annette Roberts
The Board is supported by participants including the Director of Children’s Services, Deborah Gornik, Deputy Director of Children's Services, Simone White, and other senior officers within the council.