In September 2016, Ofsted found children’s services in Wirral to be ‘inadequate’ overall, with some areas ‘requiring improvement’. The full inspection report from Ofsted is available on its website.
An Improvement Board is now responsible for closely monitoring the development and delivery of an improvement plan for children’s services.
The Board will ensure the council and its partners work together to make improvements which promote and protect the wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people.
As independent chair of the Improvement Board, Linda Clegg is responsible for reporting progress to the Secretary of State.
Improvement Board Membership
- Independent Chair; Linda Clegg
- WSCB Chair; Professor Maggie Atkinson
- Cabinet Member for Children and Families; Cllr Bernie Mooney
- Chair of People Overview and Scrutiny Committee: Cllr Tom Usher
- Leader of the Council; Cllr Phil Davies
- Conservative Group Councillor; Cllr Leslie Rennie
- Liberal Democrat Group Councillor; Cllr Phil Gilchrist
- Wirral Council Chief Executive; Eric Robinson
- Merseyside Police, Area Commander; Ian Hassall
- Director of Policy and Patient Safety Clinical Commissioning Group; Lorna Quigley
- Chair of Wirral Association of Secondary Headteachers; Tony Taylor
- Chair of Wirral Special Headteachers Association; Paula Wearing
- Chair of Wirral Association of Primary Headteachers; Jill Pearson
The Board is supported by participants including the Director of Children’s Services, Paul Boyce, Deputy Director of Children's Services, Simone White, and other senior officers within the council.
Reports and Publications
- Ofsted Inspection Report
- Ofsted Improvement Notice
- Children's Services Improvement Plan, 6 month update, April 2018
- Children's Services Improvement Plan 2017-2019
- Children’s Services Improvement Plan 2016