A licence is required for the use of land as a caravan site.
A potential site occupier must obtain planning permission before applying for a licence.
As a licence holder you should ensure your details are kept up to date and inform us of any changes. Planning permission details must correspond with your licence.
Licences are transferable to new occupiers but you must inform us of this change so that consent can be issued.
Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within the last three years.
A licence is not required for:
- a caravan kept within the grounds of a house that is not occupied separately to the house
- a single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
- up to three caravans on a site of no less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
- sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
- sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only
- sites for temporary purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites, and travelling salesmen
- a site for tents can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
Model standards will be considered when your application is being processed
- The Model Standards 2008 for permanent caravan sites in England
- Model Standards 1989 for Holiday Caravan Sites
Conditions may be attached to your licence; these are detailed in the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.
Failed applications and appeals
If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition you should contact Environmental Health in the first instance. Appeals can be made to the local Magistrates’ Court within 28 days of the decision. A notice of appeal must be served on Wirral Council.
If a licence holder wishes to appeal against a condition attached to a licence they can appeal to the local Magistrates’ Court within 28 days of the licence being issued.
Report a problem
Report a concern about:
- a caravan site
- a caravan occupier