A Riding Establishment is defined as being "the carrying on of a business of keeping horses or ponies to let them out for hire for riding or riding instruction".

Applicants must be over 18 years of age

More information on who can apply for a riding establishment licence.

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being processed:

  • that consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, kept physically fit and are suitable to be ridden or used during riding instruction
  • that the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition
  • that there will be suitable accommodation for the horses
  • that for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed
  • that horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals
  • that precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained
  • that appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the licence holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed
  • that storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided 

If you require further advice, contact Environmental Health at [email protected]


£155 (excluding vet fees) 


To apply for a riding establishment licence or tell us about a change to an existing licence, contact Environmental Health.

Processing and timescales

Once your application has been received with the correct fee, we will aim to visit your premises with a local vet within 14 days.


Riding Establishments Act 1964.

Failed applications and appeals

Failed applicants should contact Environmental Health at [email protected]

Appeals against a failed application or conditions attached to a licence can be made to the local magistrates’ court.

How do I report a problem?

Report a concern about:

  • an application
  • an issued licence
  • a riding establishment

Report a concern