Any person who wishes to work as a private hire driver is required by law to hold a licence, issued by Wirral Council.
The criteria for determining applications is included in the policy for licensing of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Drivers.
All applicants should read this policy before submitting an application.
To apply please send a request for an application pack to [email protected] with your full name and postal address.
We will send you an application form and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) form. Once completed please contact the licensing office on 0151 691 8043 to make an appointment.
You must bring the following to your pre-booked appointment:
- a completed application form
- a completed DBS form
- 3 forms of accepted identification
- proof of address (for example recent utility bill or similar. A Driving Licence will not be accepted as proof of address)
- DVLA driving licence (photocard or paper driving licence)
- DVLA check code (The DVLA website provides guidance on how to general your code
- application fee (debit or credit card, cheque, postal order - no cash payments)
Before a licence is granted, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- satisfactory enhanced certificate DBS
- satisfactory medical certificate
- satisfactory driving licence
- knowledge test pass
- Vocationally Recognised Qualification (VRQ)
Processing and timescales
The process will take several weeks as it involves completing a number of forms and checks.
Contact the licensing office on 0151 691 8043 if you require further information.