If you are in any of the following groups you will need to claim Universal Credit, which replaces Housing Benefit:

  • you are of working age and living in rented accommodation without support provided by your landlord
  • you have less than 3 children and need help with your housing costs

Find out more about Universal Credit

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. Only certain groups of people can make a claim.

Who can make a claim?

The following people are still able to apply for Housing Benefit:

  • pensioners of State Pension Age
  • people living in accommodation where care, support and supervision is provided by their landlord
  • people with three or more dependent children, who have not been claiming Universal Credit in the last six months
  • people who are placed in temporary accommodation by the local authority on or after 11 April  2018

If you have made a claim for Universal Credit or are already receiving Universal Credit you can still apply for help with your Council Tax by claiming Council Tax Support.

If you have school aged children who are not foster children you will also be considered for free school meals when you make your claim.   

The amount you will get is worked out by looking at:

  • you and your partner’s income
  • the amount of rent you pay
  • how much the government say you need to live on
  • you and your partner’s personal circumstances and those of your household
  • if anyone is sick or disabled or if anyone is a full-time carer
  • the amount of savings and capital you and your partner have - more than £16,000 will normally mean you don’t qualify; however if you have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit we will ignore the first £10,000

Benefit calculators

Use the benefit calculator for an estimation of how much you may be entitled to.

Use the room calculator to work out how many bedrooms you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit for.


Make a claim for Housing Benefit

More information on claiming Housing Benefit