If you claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are eligible to receive these benefits.

You will need to provide original documents for proof of your identity. We don’t need to see these if you have shown us proof of your identity within the last three years or you receive Universal Credit, Income Support or Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance.

You can provide your identity documents in person at any one stop shop, or by sending the original documents to us, recorded delivery is recommended, as we cannot accept any responsibility for documents lost in the post. Please do not use the upload form below.

Proof of identity for yourself (and your partner if applicable)

Two original items from the following list:

  • current passport
  • photo card driving licence
  • birth or marriage certificate
  • NHS medical card
  • UK residence permit
  • EU identity card
  • bank or building society statements
  • divorce or annulment papers
  • police registration document
  • national insurance number card
  • recent utility (gas, water or telephone) bill

Proof of National Insurance number for yourself (and partner if applicable)

  • National Insurance number card
  • P60s
  • P45s
  • payslips from your employer or private pension provider
  • award letters from the Department of Work and Pensions or Job Centre Plus

You can upload all other items of evidence we ask for to our website using the upload form below.

How to provide any other documents we ask for

When you make a claim or report a change online, after you submit your claim, you will be sent an email at the same time with a link to send us any documents we have asked for.

Don’t delay submitting your claim on line.


You can send all other documents we ask for via the online evidence form.

Submit your evidence online

You have one calendar month from when we receive your claim to provide any supporting documents we have asked for. We can start to process your claim, but will not be able to pay you any benefit or support until we have all the necessary proof we have asked for.

By post

Please remember to put your name, address and claim reference number, if you know it, on any documents that you send to us. Recorded delivery is recommended, as we cannot accept any responsibility for documents lost in the post. You can send your documents to:

Benefits Service
Wirral Borough Council
PO Box No.290
CH27 9FQ

At any One Stop Shop

You can bring in the documents to any Wirral One Stop Shop.

Proof of income we may ask you for


If you are on Income Support, income-based Job Seeker's Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit we usually get proof from the Department of Work and Pensions.

If you are not on Income Support, income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance, we will need to see proof of all the income received by you and your partner.

Acceptable proof of income:

  • last five payslips if paid weekly
  • last two payslips if paid monthly

We also need this information for any other adult who lives with you and is working.

If you are self-employed and the business is more than 12 months old we may ask to see a copy of your or your partner's profit and loss account or most recent business accounts for the last 12 months.

If you are self-employed and the business is less than 12 months old please complete the self-employed earnings form.

Self-employed earnings form

Proof of other money coming in

For any work or private pension payslips, training allowances, student grants, student loans, letter showing maintenance payments and any miscellaneous cash payments.

We may also ask for this informationfor any other adult who lives with you and has money coming in.

Proof of money you pay out

Bank statement showing any money being paid to a private pension company, letter from a registered child-minder or receipts which show how much you pay (these must include their registration number, the child’s name and the number of days childcare is required).

Proof of bank accounts, savings, investments and property

Please provide the following for any savings or capital that you or your partner may have:

  • current bank or building society statements, covering the last two months and showing all credits and debits. We cannot accept balance slips.
  • a letter from your bank or building society showing this information is also acceptable
  • if you bank via the Internet you can provide screen prints showing all transactions for the last two month
  • Post Office accounts with an up to date book
  • certificates for Premium Bonds
  • National Savings certificates
  • stocks, shares or unit trusts, PEPS, ISAs, Tessa’s and any other investments, property (other than your main home) or savings. We will need to see certificates or dividend statements
  • proof of any interest of dividends you get on investments and savings

You will also need to provide this for any other adult who lives with you.

Proof of rent

If you are claiming Housing Benefit as a private tenant, we may need to see proof of the rent you pay. We also need to know if it includes money for services such as heating, lighting, hot water and water rates.

A copy of your tenancy agreement will usually be all we need if we ask you for it; or If you do not have a formal agreement, we will need to see a letter from your landlord or their agent, or a rent book.

The letter or rent book must be signed and dated by your landlord or their agent and show:

  • your name and address
  • the date the tenancy agreement started
  • the total amount that you pay
  • a breakdown of the amounts paid for services in your rent e.g. heating, hot water, lighting
  • the name and address of your landlord or their agent

Proof of state benefits

We need to know about some state benefits that you already receive. We can ask the Department for Work and Pensions for most other state benefits.

Recent award letters or bank statements (these must cover the last two months and show all credits and debits) are needed for the following income:

  • industrial Disablement Benefit
  • industrial Injuries Benefit
  • industrial Injuries Pension
  • war Widow's Pension
  • war Disablement Pension
  • widow's Pension
  • youth training schemes