If your circumstances have changed since you applied for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you must tell us straight away.
Changes that you need to tell us about
We need to know about changes in your circumstances and anyone who lives with you.
Some changes may mean you have to claim Universal Credit instead of remaining on Housing Benefit.
Changes we need to know about:
- change of address
- income, if it goes up or down, or you move from one type of benefit to another (for example, incapacity benefit to a pension)
- savings or capital
- if anyone starts or stops receiving Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (including if you become sick and start submitting medical evidence)
- if anyone starts receiving income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or Employment and Support Allowance Contributory
- starting work or changing jobs
- if anyone goes into hospital
- anyone joins or leaves your household (for example, the birth of a baby or a non-dependant moves in/out)
- starting or leaving full-time education
- the terms of your tenancy or the rent you pay to a private landlord changes
- if anyone starts getting a private pension (including from Wirral Council)
- More information on starting work or an increase in your income
If you do not tell us about changes immediately, we may not be able to backdate the change if it leads to an increase in your Housing Benefit.
We usually recalculate your Benefit from the Monday after the date the change occurred if the change leads to a reduction in your entitlement. This means we may ask you to pay back any benefit which you were not entitled to.
Wirral Council may take action against you if you give us information that is incorrect or incomplete.
Report a change in your childcare costs
To report a change in your childcare costs, you will need to do both of the following:
Changes that you do not need to tell us about
You do not need to tell us about:
- changes in the amount of Income Support or income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- your April increase in state benefits
- your rent increase, if you rent your home from a housing association and we pay your Housing Benefit direct to the housing association
Proof you may need to provide
You can be asked to provide proof of any changes in circumstances.
Use the benefit calculator for an estimation of how much you may be entitled to.
Use the room calculator to work out how many bedrooms you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit for.
Average processing time
We aim to process the changes to your account within 4 weeks.
Help managing money and debt
Citizens Advice Wirral can offer help and advice if you are having difficulty paying bills or struggling with other debts.